More Peace!!!

8:11 AM

So why does my post title say "More Peace"?

Do I want a more peaceful life?

Ha-ha!



Well In Marathi More = Peacock & Peace = Feather
(at least they're pronounced that way)
So More Peace = Peacock Feather

It is the latest quilt I finished!

I all began on the morning of  12th June. I had just completed the Hawaii Quilt and was looking for something else to do. 

The inspiration came when I saw the cover of this issue of Quilting Arts (April/May 2010).


I was stunned by the quilt on the cover.

It is "Vanity" by Susan Brubaker Knapp




I went through her blog and found out that she has used dyes on white fabric to do it.

I will never be able to do that, I thought and just pushed the thought away.

But the image kept coming back to my mind...


The I came across this video by Nancy Zieman &  Natalie Sewell where they show we can use Oil Pastels in Landscape Quilting.

Now I got excited. This is something I can totally do!!! I thought. It all started at about 4 pm on 12th June.
And I was ready...


I needed to buy oil pastels though. DS has them, but I could not find the shades I wanted.

By 4.30 all the pieces were cut and fused down.


By 5.00 pm the quilt top was ready - shaded and all. Basted.


I was so excited about the quilt. But was scared that I'd ruin it somehow!


I quilted it patiently. Using my regular foot # 1 on my Emily (Bernina 330). I used black 40 wt Aurifil Cotton thread both on the machine as well as in the bobbin.


As the quilting completed, I was more and more confident!!!

And then at 11 am on 13th June (less than 20 hours since I drew my first sketch) the quilting was done!!!


It took another hour to bind it and it was ready.

But I knew it needed something more...

Wasn't sure what.

The I saw something that Rohit had brought for Aadi.

 
Some fun glitter gel pens!!! I tried just roughly scribbling over a piece of fabric (just wanted to make sure it did not ruin it) and it seemed to work.

So I got started.

I used the yellow (lemony one) over the brown and light green, Blue over the blue and the darker blues, green over the dark green and black over the black and also for the stems and on the stitch lines too.

I'm just so happy with the result!!!


I stepped so much out of my comfort zone to make this one.


I managed to 'completely finish it by 9 pm on the 13th June. But considering that I did everything - including helping my MIL prepare Mango Jam - it actually took less than 10 hours!I will be teaching my technique in workshops very soon!!!


I love the shiny effect of the glitter pens...

Have you experimented with craft supplies on your quilt?


If not, I urge you to do that. Maybe on a small piece. But do experiment!
Trust me, it is worth it!


I used a solid lime green for the back!!!

It looks more like a dandelion on the back!

I even added a label - if thats what you call scribbling details on the back with a permanent fabric pen!


Details of the Quilt :

More Peace
Size : 28" x 20". 
Materials used : Cotton Fabric, Poly-Cotton Batting (very thin & light), 
Aurifil Black thread 40 wt, Oil Pastels and Glitter Gel Pens!!!

Experience - awesome!!!



Cheers!!!

You Might Also Like

15 comments

Thank you for your comments... I try to reply to all of them personally, but sometimes life is just too fast to do that... But I love hearing from you...

POWr Instagram Feed